Do-it-yourself auto glass repair!
Use the 3M™ Windshield Repair Kit to repair small bull's eyes and chips in auto glass. The kit minimizes the appearance of small bull's-eyes, spider web cracks, and star damage that are less than one inch in diameter on windshields. This simple-to-use kit includes everything you need to fill in small cracks and chips with 3M's clear glass resin.
The 3M Windshield Repair Kit is designed for the average car owner to repair his or her own windshield and avoid costly replacement or professional repair. By filling the chip with 3M's glass resin, you'll minimize its appearance and stop it from spreading.
The best part is you can use the 3M Windshield Repair Kit at home with no special tools or experience. The special glass resin requires no mixing or heating. Complete instructions are included. You'll save time and money by doing the repair yourself!
The 3M Windshield Repair Kit is not appropriate for every chip. If the damage is directly in the driver's line of vision, professional repair or windshield replacement should be considered. For small chips and bull's-eyes on the rest of the windshield, the 3M Windshield Repair Kit can significantly reduce their appearance.
The kit includes everything you need to ensure precise injection of the glass resin. You'll need to supply safety glasses, #2 Phillips head screwdriver, clean paper towels, and rubber gloves capable of providing liquid barrier protection. Our Nitrile Gloves will provide skin protection with no loss of tactile sensitivity.
Note: A mirror taped to the inside of the windshield helps correctly place the bridge and resin chamber over the damage.
- Place a cloth or paper towel near the bottom of the windshield, below the damage. This will catch any resin that might flow from the repair area.
- Thoroughly clean the outside of the windshield around the damage with the alcohol wipe.
- Clean or remove any loose pieces of glass from the damaged area with the stick pin provided.
- Place the bridge on the windshield with the opening for the resin chamber centered directly over the top of damage. Press down on the assembly until a vacuum is created by the suction cups (suction cups will be nearly flat against the windshield).
- Screw the resin chamber into the bridge until the resin chamber tip lightly touches the surface of the windshield. Make sure that the opening of the resin chamber is centered and covers the damage. If necessary, reposition the bridge to cover the opening.
- Use the dropper to fill the resin chamber approximately half full with the Glass Repair Resin.
- Screw the injector into the resin chamber. Repair resin should begin to fill the damaged area as the injector is screwed in.
- View the repair from inside the vehicle. If the injector has been fully turned in and the damage has not been completely filled, remove the injector and repeat steps 6 & 7.
- If there is still a pit in the surface of the glass, use the dropper to apply one or two drops of resin into the pit. Place the clear plastic film over the resin-filled pit to hold the resin in place.
- Once the damage has been filled with repair resin, remove the bridge assembly from the windshield. Wipe off any excess repair resin before curing the repair resin with UV light.
- Move the vehicle to a brightly sunlit area and allow the entire assembly to sit for at least 30 minutes. Longer periods of time will be required when sunlight is not directly over head, if using on tinted glass, if there are air pollutants, or if it is an overcast or cloudy day. A UV light can be used as an alternative to natural sunlight to cure the resin.
- After the resin has been fully cured, remove any excess cured adhesive from the surface of the windshield with the scraping blade.
- Clean the windshield with 3M™ Glass Cleaner (3M-08888) or other automotive glass cleaner.
The kit includes:
1 alcohol wipe
1 bridge assembly
2 suction cups
2 Phillips head screws
1 resin chamber
1 resin chamber tip
1 injector o-ring
1 bottle glass repair resin
1 stick pin
1 clear plastic film
1 scraping blade